Monday, July 21, 2008

SUMMER snowflake ice and jumbo squid

My weekend ended with a cool note.

I made my way back to the Guang Hwa Computer Market (光華商場/Guānghuá Shāng Cháng) area to satisfy my craving for snowflake ice (雪花冰/xuěhuā bīng) and jumbo fried squid. It turns out my favorite squid shop also sells snowflake ice. I did not have my camera with me so I will try to get photos next time. Note some people in the shop speak English. There is a tall and very friendly lady who speaks English very well. She provides great service and recommendations of what are the best items they have to offer.

This time, I managed to try 3 flavors, green tea with red bean, milk with red bean and peanut butter, of snowflake ice. All 3 flavors were really good, both in taste and smell. I love that chewy feeling of the ice in the mouth. Oh, so good! I must go back and try the other flavors. I find it to be a super way to beat the summer heat. They have seating inside the shop where you can sit down, avoid the heat and enjoy your cool dessert.

Since this shop is my favorite place to get jumbo fried squid I had to have a bag. I love the jumbo squid as the amount of batter is just right and has just the right amount of chewiness. I had some seasoning, garlic and herb leaves added to maximize the taste and experience. What a nice ending to a great weekend!


Shop name (店名): SUMMER snowflake ice (夏日雪花冰(光華店))

Address (地址):
No. 2-2, Xinsheng South Road, Sec. 1, Lane 12, Zhongshan District, Taipei City
台北市中山區新生南路1段12巷2號之2
Xīnshēng NánLù, yì Duàn, shíèr Xiàng, èr Hào Zhī èr, Zhōngshān Qū, Táiběi Shì

Telephone (地址): (02) 2394-8328
URL (網址): http://tw.local.yahoo.com/biz.html?bizid=644160ecb83daf8e&sid=152959585&city=%E5%8F%B0%E5%8C%97%E5%B8%82&b=13&sort=-rating
Menu (菜單): Chinese
Operation Hours (營業時間): 12:00 pm - 10:30 pm

Another web site (Mobile01 in Chinese) talking about the fried squid, chicken and other delicious bites:
http://5i01.com/waypointtopicdetail.php?f=189&t=445699


MRT (捷運/Jiéyùn) Directions:
Take the blue MRT line (Banqiao-Nangang; 板橋站-南港/Bǎnqiáo-Nángǎng) to Zhongxiao Xinsheng station (忠孝新生站/Zhōngxiào-Xīnshēng Zhàn). Take exit 1, turn right, walk a few meters and then take a left. Walk into a small dark lane with DVD signs above. You will soon reach a lane with a lot of food stalls.

No comments: