Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Eat together, play together

Last weekend was an interesting mix of food & fun...

Friday: Eatogether (that's how it is spelt in their web site!)

This is a place I saw about a month back. Some of the foodie gang was shopping at RT-Mart (大潤發/Dàrùnfā) in Neihu. The plan was to walk from RT-Mart to Carrefour (家樂福/Jiālèfú). Thanks to the low priced wine at RT-Mart I found myself carrying 2 bottles in a box (bags are not free but used cardboard boxes are). With the bulk of the box and thought of the short walk we barely made it out of RT-Mart when we saw Inbase Mall. It appeared to be an outlet mall with restaurants inside. On that day we saw 2 buffet restaurants, Ponderosa (childhood memories!) and Eatogether. We ended up settling for Ponderosa back then.

Last weekend, we decided to give Eatogether a try. What a wonderful spread of cooked and cook on demand food. They even had various types of BEER! The place is huge so the food is spread over several bars. Check out the classic glass bottles of soda (childhood memories!), chocolate fountain and the ice cream!

The place is clean and decor is more upscale than most buffet places. Even the "clean up" cart was dressed with an apron to hide away the messy dishes that we left behind. Great food, nice setting and lots of food selection!

Look at the jumbo oyster!:



Restaurant: Eatogether (饗食天堂)

Address (地址):
No. 68, Xinhu (or Sinhu) 2nd Road, Neihu District, Taipei City (Inbase Mall, 2nd Floor)
台北市內湖區 新湖二路68號2樓; (inbase2樓)
Xīnhú èr Lù, liùshíbā Háo, èr Lóu, Nèihú Qū, Táiběi Shì

Telephone (地址): (02) 2791-6989
URL (網址): http://www.eatogether.com/
Operation Hours (營業時間): Refer to URL above.

Note that the web site and dish labels (in the restaurant) are in Chinese only.

Apparently, the prices will increase on July 01, 2008. Only a few days left to enjoy the current pricing.


Saturday: IKEA or Dim sum?

Saturday was a lazy day for me. Thought I was going to stay home the whole day until my foodie friend calls me for "lunch". It was almost 2 pm!

We were supposed to meet at IKEA and then decide what to eat. I ended up meeting at Nanjing East Road MRT instead. While walking from IKEA to the MRT station I noted down a few places for lunch. We ended up on a Hong Kong restaurant on the 2nd floor. The dim sum was not too bad. Hmm....maybe I need to hunt for the best dim sum in Taipei?


Restaurant: NATURESTAR 24HR HK STYLE RESTAURANT
(天星港式飲茶/Tiān Xīnggǎng Shì Yǐnchá); 24小時/èrshísì xiǎoshí

Address (地址):
275 Nanjing East Road, Sec. 3, Taipei City (just east of MRT)
台北市南京東路三段275號
Nánjīng Dōnglù, sān Duàn, èrqīwǔ Háo, Táiběi Shì

Telephone (地址): (02) 2713-3877
URL (網址): http://www.citystar.com.tw/naturestar/about.php
Operation Hours (營業時間): Refer to the URL above.

I did not have my camera with me so I did not take any photos.



IKEA AsiaWorld:

IKEA (宜家家居/Yíjiājiājū)

Address (地址):
B1, No. 100, Tun-Hwa N. Road, Song-Shan Dist. 105 Taipei (Asia-World Shopping Mall)
台北市105松山區敦化北路100號B1(環亞購物廣場)
Dūnhuà Běi Lù, yī bǎi Hào, B1, Sōngshān Qū, Táiběi Shì

Telephone (地址): (02)2716-8900

MRT (捷運/Jiéyùn) Directions:
Take the brown MRT line (Muzha line; 木柵站/Mùzhà) to Nanjing E. Rd. Station (南京東路站/Nánjīng Dōnglù Zhàn). Exit and walk east for about 10 minutes towards Dunhua North Road.


There was another place I went to but was too full to eat. It is a shop that I ate at back in February. They have an awesome fried squid. I need to gather some details before I write about it. Look out for an update.


Sunday: Playing & eating together

Super hot Sunday! There was a bike club outing that my friend invited me to join last weekend. I had to take a 1 hour MRT ride up to Guandu MRT Station (關渡站/Guāndù Zhàn) and meet my friend at 8:30 am. It was already hot by this time! While waiting for others to join we applied sun-block everywhere.

My home is too small for a bike so I had to rent one in order to join the group. I bought a helmet (safety first!) last Friday so I was set. We cycled to Bali (there is a Chinese name but I need to post it later)....no, not the island in Indonesia but it was near water. I took tons of photos so I will setup a photo account, post them and then link it later.

At the beginning of the trail:


It was a family event so the trail was pretty easy. I was told it was about 10 km (not sure if it was one way or return). A nice trail with lots to see along the way. We were cycling to a goal...work up an appetite to enjoy a great meal together (family event, remember?).

The ride was worth it! View from the
top of the museum at the end of the trail:


I think we were at a place called Bali Wharf. They had a lot of little shops selling food. We had lunch at a restaurant. The signature dish was described as a "peacock". After seeing the food I can only guess that the mussels we had looked like peacock feathers. Need to confirm this.

What a wide selection of food! Peacock or mussels? Bikers need to eat!


With all the excitement I did not take the name card of the restaurant. I only have photos. Same goes for the bread shop where I tried some famous "twin sticks" or what looked like American donuts. I also tried a milk tart and Taiwanese ice cream. Looks like I need to go back another time!

Later that night I continued with a meal at Chili's in NEO19. I was too busy talking and eating I forgot to take photos. My favorite is the Oldtimer® burger with cheese and bacon. Yummy! Soft drinks are bottomless (free refills) so plenty of washing down to do. The burger patty is bigger than those in The Diner but it does cost more as well. Both places are worth a try!


Restaurant: Chili's (饗食天堂)

Address (地址):
22, Sungshou Road, Taipei City (NEO19, 2nd Floor)
台北市松壽路22號2樓 (NEO19, 威秀影城旁)
Songshòu Lù èrshíèr Háo, èr Lóu, Táiběi Shì

Telephone (地址): (02) 2345-8838
URL (網址): http://www.chilis.com.tw/index.html
Operation Hours (營業時間): Refer to URL above
Menu (菜單): Chinese (English upon request)

No comments: